Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Refocusing on the Steps

So I realized after my fifth period started reading our first short story that I was rushing ahead. I had to pull myself back and re-evaluate the steps in PBL. It worked out well I think because it gave the kids a chance to review the steps. I started by telling the kids we've already done step 1 (entry event), and then I asked them what step we had skipped to. After some coaching a few kids guessed step 5 (scaffolding) because I was teaching them about short stories and we were analyzing our first story.

After they realized we'd skipped to step five we talked about the steps that we had skipped.
1: Entry Event
2: Driving Question
3: Problem Statement
4: Knows & N2Ks
5: Scaffolding
6: Final Deliverable

I shared my Driving Question with the kids. Then I gave them the formula that I learned this summer for Problem Statements. The students got in groups and brainstormed ideas for the problem statement. Each group shared their ideas up on the board then we worked as a group to condense our problem statements into one final statement.

I decided condense the three different class period's statements into one, but I also posted each classes individual problem statement on the white board in my room.

No comments: