Pages

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

9 -- Critical Friends Group -- Feedback Session

Today we did a "Critical Friends Group (CFG)" Feedback Session in all of my English 9 classes.

Yesterday groups were given a "lesson plan worksheet" to set up the steps they would go through when they're at the elementary schools. They had to fill in a rough draft and discuss it as a group. They were also instructed that once they were finished with the lesson plan sheet they needed to prepare a short 1 minute presentation they would share with the class during our CFG feedback protocol.

When they came into class I had the desks arranged so that the presenters would be the center of attention but could sit rather than standing in front of the class. I knew this would make most of my students more comfortable and put the group up on a "podium" so the rest of the class could casually direct their feedback at that group rather than me as the facilitator. During presentations each group also had a group member up front at the document camera showing their lesson plans worksheet from Monday.

The directions for the feedback protocol are outlined in this Google Doc titled CFG Protocol Outline. You could always adjust the times if you want the rounds to go longer. For this group 45 seconds seems like forever!

I invited teachers, staff, administrators to come in and be a part of the feedback sessions as well.

After going over the expectations and reminding them of our classroom expectations (Communication, Respect, Responsibility) we started the protocol with a group who offered to volunteer.

I have to say that I was really surprised by how well my freshmen went through this activity. I asked each student to participate at least three times in the protocol, which I tallied on a roster for points. I encouraged those who tend to dominate conversation to sit back and be OK with silence so others are encouraged to speak up. The students also had to write down 1 "I like", 1 "I wonder", and 1 "next step for each group that presented; this was another way for me to tally participation. (The template for that piece can be found in this Google Doc titled CFG Feedback Tracker). There is a page with small boxes for each group, and there is a page with larger boxes for the students when their group is in the "presenter" role and needs to take notes of all the feedback they're receiving.

I think most groups received very valuable feedback and suggestions. I even had one student in a group who, during their reflection time in the last round, said, "This made me realize that our group has a lot of struggles to overcome and that we need to use our time more wisely because we have a lot to do."

Here is some feedback from those who came in from outside our classroom to observe and give feedback.
"I thought it was very well organized as far as having established structure which allowed for all sides of the conversation. I enjoyed getting to hear what each group was doing, thought maybe if there could be more input from all the group members (I know that they have a selected facilitator/leader) to round out what the plan/idea was.Overall I was very impressed.  Some of the students who spoke were ones who I would not have expected and they did so enough that it went beyond the 'I just want my participation points' issue."  --Assistant Principal Jon Hutton
"I had a great time in the class just listening to the students plan a lesson for the [elementary schools].  The topic was great as some of the students could also use a few pointers on manners and good behavior.  The pace of the class really surprised me in a good way.  Man you students better be sharp and ready to participate.  I wish more students would have vocalized their thoughts as I saw some great ones written down on paper but not vocalized.  Nice group work with every student having a job to do." -- Math teacher Terry Screeton
"Giving the students an opportunity to discuss this plan amongst their peers and a chance for reflection and suggestions is also a wonderful idea. I was impressed with the participation of many students and how the class as a whole conducted itself.  A couple of students started to add more than a suggestion or two and I would have liked to see others step in and contribute; however, overall it was good. This is a great way to promote confidence with speaking in front of other people and the freedom to express constructive criticism appropriately" -- Counselor Scott Bibler
 Looking back after the conclusion of the project -- 3/12/13: 
 I don't know how to encourage or help students take the feedback they receive from CFGs like this and better apply it to their projects. I also think we should do the CFG earlier in the project timeline...or at least not so close to the final deadline. I think doing the CFG on a block day would be more beneficial because groups would have time after we're finished to decompress and discuss how they're going to change their path and adjust their management logs.





No comments: