Pages

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Community Partner -- Baker Youth Club Tues 12/4

Tonight five students volunteered at Baker Youth Club in Warsaw. The students had the opportunity to read their short stories to the students. They read three stories and did two activities that went along with their stories.

The students read:
"A Knights Tale" by Eric Hammer
"The Case of Missing Herold"
& "The Words I'd Hoped I'd Never Hear"

After reading to a group of K-2nd graders and a group of third graders the students were in charge of activity time. They played dragons & knights (sharks and minnows) and freeze tag where the person who was "it" got to wear a white dentists coat, which went with the story "The Words I'd Hoped I'd Never Hear".

The students and the kids at BYC had a blast. Some of the staff members said the kids said the activities were really fun. After Stephen read "The Words I'd Hoped I'd Never Hear" a lot of the kids said "I remember the time I went to the dentist!" and they kept talking about things that had happened to them. They were very impressed that my students were "authors and illustrators" which is something the kids at BYC had learned in their after school class.

One of the best things that made my night was when one of my students came walking out of the office two volunteer applications for himself and another student. They promised the kids they'd be back!

Awesome, awesome night for PBL. The way that Shelby talked about it after we left made the whole project worth it and really affirmed that this PBL thing can have a great outcome. Imagine when I perfect it and it's not longer our first rodeo!












No comments: