Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

YouTube Closed Captions - Uploading a Transcript


In a previous post, I talked about adding closed captions to flipped instruction videos. I said, "I will tell you that ideally you should write script before you record your video. You should do this whether or not you have to add captions, but I'm telling you it will save you a lot of headache if you have to put closed captions on your videos."

Today, I did just that.

This was not my first time writing a script, but it was my first time writing it with the intention of uploading for closed captions. It took me a few more tries when I started recording as I really like to ad lib or go off on a tangent. Having the script actually helped me stay focused on only the necessary information and kept my video short!

Here are the steps I went through before uploading to YouTube. They're very similar to what I outlined on my previous post.

  1. Outline what I want learners to take away from the video
  2. Write out the transcript
  3. Practice a few times before recording, make adjustments to the script - KNOW what I'm going to click on and when
  4. Start recording
  5. Make any changes/adjustments to the transcript
    NOTE: This will be uploaded and added to the video exactly how it's written so if you change any words or add any information off the cuff, you need to add it to the transcript! 
  6. Upload the video to your YouTube channel - if you used Screencastify you can simply click the "share" button a the top of the screen
  7. Save the transcript as a Plain Text (.txt) file
    In Google Drive - click "Download as..."
The video below will explain the process of adding the captions to the video from your YouTube account.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!! Next time I will try to stick to a script and add captions for accommodations.