Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Prototype Project & Process Reflection [Frustration]

I'm crazy frustrated with things right now. I need to get a reflection out there so that I can remember three months from now when my students are ticked off and frustrated with me what this really felt like.

 Yesterday I was overwhelmed, but hopeful. Today I am frustrated with what we're being asked to do. I love jumping in and applying what we've learned as much as the next person; however, I feel like the WHY for our current task is unclear or even misdirected. I understand the goal is to encourage us to make and think about how to bring the maker mindset into our classroom, but some of the parameters of how and why we're doing that are conflicting with my values.

My first elective I did today had to do Visible Thinking Routines (which was amazing by the way), so I thought maybe I'd try that to try to dig into why I'm so frustrated with this current Prototype Project right now.


Initially I was thinking my frustration was with my group members, and while I think that's a barrier I don't think that is the source. Then I was thinking that my frustration was because I wasn't working in my content area, but that can't be it because the PBL Chopped Competition we did for NTAC was rooted in the idea of thinking outside the box and crossing content areas. I think some of the issues come from my being a "North" on the compass points, meaning I want to jump in and get things done the most efficient way possible, and with the short timeline we're on it's adding pressure to develop something solid in a short amount of time. I'm struggling with the way my group members are wandering in a lot of directions that seem incohesive right now, and I fear that we don't have the time to bring everything back together before the gallery walk tonight. 

Lastly, I think my biggest frustration, and the stem of it all really, comes from the very last entry in the care column. I want what I create to be useful. What my current group is creating is interesting, but not super usefull to me immediately upon my return to school. Also, I'm not sold that the final audience (high school camp students), is willing or useful to our goals. Why not pitch to each other for a CFG  or TUning Protocol? I just keep thinking the high school students are going to be EXHAUSTED, not invested, and just saying "Oh, that's a cool thing you made - cool story bro!". Then they're going to go on their merry way, and I'm not going to have anything productive or useful to implement in my school. 

p.s. What do you think of the cool makerspace logo I created this morning? #winoftheday

No comments: