Pages

Friday, July 20, 2018

Prioritized Makerspace Wish List

So much of this week was discussion of the idea that a makerspace isn't about the stuff that's in it, but instead it's about the work, facilitation, and ideas that develop in the space. That being said, I've found quite a few items through my work this week that would really help with workflow, organization, and productivity in the space.

  1. Industrial kitchen storage rack for projects in progress
  2. Cafeteria trays for smaller works in progress
  3. Aluminum pans for larger works in progress
  4. Pegboard and accessories
  5. Power strips
  6. Laser printerAlthough with this one, I'm debating if it's worth waiting until the one with the built in ventilation system is worth waiting for (Glowforge is set to release it in November)
  7. Some more flexible seating options - perhaps bar height counter big enough for a chromebook on knee wall and some stools
  8. Shelves with tubs or some other type of "material" storage for cardboard, wood, other recyclables
  9. Chibitronics sets
I'm at a point where we kept hearing over and over that it's not about the stuff, and I just kept thinking back to all the research and discussion and work we put into thinking about the makerspace this past school year. I'm in a place right now where I just want to jump in, organize what we have, and get to a point where we have a designated space to start with. This week reminded me and pushed me to be ok with not having all the great things I imagine there can be. It's a work in progress and will always be a work in progress. 

That being said, my goal is to get it set up to feel like a different space than it did last year so that we can hold a "grand opening" on the first day of school during student orientation. Hoping I can get others on board with this idea and encourage them to pull different things into their projects. Also going to start looking for available grants and funding to keep adding to meet some current needs, but also bring in some new tools I learned about this week that I think have great potential to impact students projects, student interest, and student learning. 

Here are some pictures of the MILL at the IU School of Education to serve as a reminder and inspiration









No comments: